Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Salford City Council - Record of Decision (CABINET)
1. Approve the proposed Modifications (Main, Additional and those relating to the Policies Map) to the Salford Local Plan: Development Management Policies and Designations that have arisen as a result of its examination, and associated supporting background documents;
2. Agree that the Modifications and associated supporting background documents be subject to a period of representations for a period of 6 weeks commencing no earlier than 25 May 2022
The Reasons are: To continue making progress in updating the city’s development management policies and designations part of the local plan and provide an opportunity for the community and other stakeholders to make representations on proposed Modifications that have been identified as part of the examination of the local plan following its submission to the Secretary of State in June 2021.
Options considered and rejected were: To not undertake consultation on the proposed modifications. However, this was rejected as this approach would be contrary to the Planning Inspectorate Procedure Guide for Local Plan Examinations as published by the Planning Inspectorate in February 2022 (paragraph 6.7) and would not allow the community and other stakeholders to have their say on the modifications. Without consultation at this stage, the local plan would not be able to progress to adoption.
Assessment of Risk: Low to medium. The consultation on the modifications themselves is considered to be low risk. However the inspector will consider the comments received to the main modifications and additional hearing sessions may need to be arranged as a result if issues of soundness are raised. Further modifications may therefore be necessary before the local plan can be adopted.
Any attempt by the city council to adopt the local plan could be susceptible to legal challenge if it is considered by interested parties that the local plan has not been prepared in accordance with the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (“2004 Act”) and the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 (“2012 Regulations”).
The source of funding is as follows: Costs associated with the consultation on modifications to the Part One Local Plan are expected to be minimal, mainly associated with printing and postage, and will be met from existing budgets.
Procurement Advice obtained: N/A
The following documents have been used to assist the decision process:
1. Schedule of Proposed Main Modifications to the Published Submission version of the Salford Local Plan: Development Management Policies and Designations (January 2020) and the Addendum version (February 2021)
2. Schedule of Proposed Additional Modifications to the Published Submission version of the Salford Local Plan: Development Management Policies and Designations (January 2020) and the Addendum version (February 2021)
3. Composite Plan: includes all Modifications (Main and Additional) identified through the examination of the plan – modifications highlighted
4. Schedule of Proposed Modifications to the Published Submission version of the Salford Local Plan: Development Management Policies and Designations policies map (January 2020) and the Addendum version (February 2021)
5. Updated policies map (May 2022)
6. Community Impact Assessment (CIA): Addendum to the December 2019 and January 2021 CIA Reports
7. Health Impact Assessment (HIA): Addendum to the December 2019 and January 2021 HIA Reports
8. Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) of the Impact on European Protected Sites: Addendum to the December 2019 and January 2021 HRA Reports
9. Sustainability Appraisal (SA): Addendum to the January 2020 and January 2021 SA Reports
10.Statement of Representations Procedure (Draft)
James Shuttleworth Tel No: 0161 793 2307
FOR DEMOCRATIC SERVICES USE ONLY
Publication date: 20/05/2022
Date of decision: 17/05/2022
Decided at meeting: 17/05/2022 - Cabinet
Effective from: 28/05/2022