Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Salford City Council - Record of Decision
(1) The appointment of an appropriately skilled consultant project and programme manager through the CAPPS Construction and Professional Services Framework or the STAR Procurement Framework to provide support in connection with the City Council’s growing workload of grant funded infrastructure projects. This will initially be for a 12 month period.
(2) An option to extend the appointment beyond the initial 12 month period, subject to future work load, availability of funding and reaching agreement with the Councils HR team and that;
(3) Delegated Authority be given to the Strategic Director for Place to authorise an extension, subject to future workload, availability of funding and reaching agreement with the Councils HR team.
§ Salford City Council’s Regeneration Team has successfully made submissions for external funding for a range of infrastructure projects through both Growth Deal and the Greater Manchester Mayor’s Cycling and Walking Challenge Fund.
§ In addition, further funding bids are planned for a significant pipeline of new projects.
· The City Council’s Regeneration Team had insufficient resource to adequately take the above projects forward and received authorisation from Procurement Board on the 23rd January 2019 to appoint 2 project and programme managers. The process of procuring this support for a 12 month period through appropriate consultancy frameworks is currently underway.
· However, further to resolving this resourcing issue a key member of staff who was already dealing with Growth Deal and the Greater Manchester Mayor’s Cycling and Walking Challenge Fund projects has handed in their notice and will be leaving in mid-March 19. This resource is currently provided by Urban Vision Partnership and is funded through the Regeneration Capital Programme.
§ That without additional resource, the Council does not have the ability to deliver the infrastructure projects against which it has already secured funding.
§ Equally, the council’s ability to attract further grant funding for infrastructure projects is limited without additional resource in place.
This is based on the two bullet points immediately above, which relate to the council not being able to deliver externally funded projects.
Source of Funding:
The proposal to appoint a programme manager who will be working on projects which are funded from the Growth deal grant and the Majors challenge fund, allow all costs to be re-claimed on a staged basis from the grant funding body at the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA).
Procurement Advice obtained from Jennifer Hilton – ext 6241
Contact Officer: Perry Twigg ext 6053
* This decision is not subject to consideration by another Lead Member
Signed: BILL HINDS Dated: 13 March 2019
Publication date: 14/03/2019
Date of decision: 13/03/2019
Decided at meeting: 13/03/2019 - Procurement Board
Effective from: 22/03/2019