Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Salford City Council - Record of Decision
(1) Note the calculation of the council’s tax base for the financial year 2020/21.
(2) Approve in accordance with the Local Authorities (Calculation of Council Tax Base) (England) Regulations 2012, the amount 69,945 calculated by Salford City Council as its council tax base for the financial year 2020/21.
The Reason is that the council is required to calculate the council tax base for 2020/21. This "base" figure, expressed as the number of band D equivalent properties in the city, is, for council tax purposes, a fundamental element in the tax-setting process.
Options considered and rejected were: other estimates to reflect changes in the next financial year.
Assessment of Risk: The Tax Base figure is fundamental to the setting of the council tax levy and hence to the whole budget process. Miscalculation of the figure would have serious effects and consequences, however, the exercise is regarded as low risk because:-
· the starting figures are provided by the Valuation Office and a year on year comparison of figures is undertaken by the MHCLG and attention drawn to possible anomalies (if any);
· the method of calculation is well established and familiar and figures are checked for "reasonableness" and their fit with expectations.
An element of judgement needs to be made on future anticipated dwelling changes, but these are based on research and information from other council sources.
Financial Advice: report produced via the corporate accountancy team
Procurement Advice obtained: n/a
The following documents have been used to assist the decision process.
· Local Government Finance Act 1992
· The Local Authorities (Calculation of Council Tax Base) (England) Regulations 2012
· LGA Finance circulars.
· Various Working Papers in Corporate Services, Finance Division.
This decision is not subject to consideration by another Lead Member.
FOR DEMOCRATIC SERVICES USE ONLY
This decision was published on 6th January 2020.
Publication date: 06/01/2020
Date of decision: 06/01/2020
Decided at meeting: 06/01/2020 - Lead Member for Finance and Support Services Briefing
Effective from: 14/01/2020