Decision Maker: Property / Regeneration Briefing
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Salford City Council - Record of Decision
1. Approve the Council entering into a grant funding agreement with Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) in relation to the Brownfield Housing Fund for Greengate Site 3.
2. Approve the Council entering into a grant funding agreement with Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) in relation to the Brownfield Housing Fund for Greengate Site 4.
3. Provide delegated authority to the Strategic Director Place, City Solicitor and Chief Finance Officer to negotiate and finalise the detailed financial, commercial and contractual arrangements in respect of the proposed grant from GMCA to the Council.
4. Authorise the Strategic Director Place to enter into and complete all necessary agreements or documents to give effect to the above recommendations.
5. Approve the delivery option, as set out in the report, as the most appropriate delivery mechanism for the remaining Greengate development sites.
The Reasons are Salford City Council has received a total grant allocation from Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA), as part of the GM Brownfield Housing Fund (BHF) to support the unlocking of stalled, brownfield sites across five sites in Salford for housing. The above approvals will allow the council to deliver the proposed housing at the sites in Greengate concerned and in accordance with the BHF timescales.
In the event that the project is not progressed satisfactorily in line with the agreed milestone dates or delivered by the completion date, or other conditions of the Grant Agreement are not met, the Council could be deemed to be in breach and be liable to GMCA.
This includes that if the GMCA determine that the project is not sufficiently progressed to be able to draw down the funding for site acquisition by March 2023, they may withdraw the funding.
In August 2020, GMCA were awarded an initial allocation of £81.1m of Brownfield Land grant from MHCLG – part of the Government’s five-year £400m Fund to bring forward more homes by unlocking brownfield land.
As detailed in accompanying report
Financial Advice obtained: Natalie Birchall, Finance Officer
Procurement Advice obtained: Deborah Derbyshire, Category Manager
The proposals relate to a property transaction which is not a works contract, therefore there are no procurement implications.
HR Advice obtained: n/a
Climate Change Advice obtained: Sarah Heslop, Group Leader, Development Team
The proposals relate to the appointment of a developer partner to deliver housing-led development on stalled sites within the Greengate area of the City Centre, in line with the Greengate Regeneration Strategy 2018. The successful Developer’s approach to sustainable design and development principles will be tested at the planning application stage.
The following documents have been used to assist the decision process:
· Housing Strategy “Our Home, our City 2020 to 2025”
· City of Salford Unitary Development Plan 2004-16 (adopted June 2006)
· Planning Obligation SPD (2019)
This decision is not subject to consideration by another Lead Member.
Publication date: 30/07/2021
Date of decision: 26/07/2021
Decided at meeting: 26/07/2021 - Property / Regeneration Briefing
Effective from: 07/08/2021