Venue: Salford Suite, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton
Contact: Liz Wright, Democratic Services Officer
Apologies for absence
Declarations of interest
Minutes of the meeting held on 08.08.23
Places for Everyone Plan: A Joint Development Plan Document for 9 Greater Manchester Local Authorities (Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Tameside, Trafford and Wigan) - Proposed Modifications Consultation. PDF 429 KB
Report of the Lead Member for Planning and Sustainable Development.
Salford City Council - Record of Decision (CABINET)
1. Note progress made in respect of the Places for Everyone Plan (PfE);
2. Agree that the PfE modifications (Main, Additional and those relating to the policies map), and associated supporting background documents be subject to a period of representations for a period of 8 weeks commencing no earlier than 9 October 2023; and
3. Agree the next steps for the production of the PfE plan (see section 12 of the Cabinet report for details)
The Reasons are: To continue making progress towards adoption of PfE and provide an opportunity for the community and other stakeholders to make representations on proposed Modifications that have been identified as part of the examination of the plan following its submission to the Secretary of State in February 2022.
Options considered and rejected were: To not undertake consultation on the proposed modifications. However, this was rejected as this approach would be contrary to the Planning Inspectorate Procedure Guide for Local Plan Examinations as published by the Planning Inspectorate in February 2022 (paragraph 6.7) and would not allow the community and other stakeholders to have their say on the modifications. Without consultation at this stage, PfE would not be able to progress to adoption.
Assessment of Risk: Low to medium. The consultation on the modifications themselves is considered to be low risk. However, the inspectors will consider the comments received to the main modifications and additional hearing sessions may need to be arranged if they consider it is essential to deal with substantial issues raised in representations, or to ensure fairness. Further modifications may therefore be necessary before PfE can be adopted.
Any attempt by the city council to adopt PfE plan could be susceptible to legal challenge if it is considered by interested parties that it has not been prepared in accordance with the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (“2004 Act”) and the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 (“2012 Regulations”).
The source of funding is as follows: Costs for the city council associated with the consultation on modifications to Places for Everyone are expected to be minimal, mainly associated with printing and postage, and will be met from existing budgets.
Procurement Advice obtained: N/A
The following documents have been used to assist the decision process:
1) Report to AGMA Executive Board (December 2020) Greater Manchester's Plan for Homes, Jobs and the Environment: Greater Manchester Spatial Framework Publication Plan 2020 - Next Steps
2) Report to AGMA Executive Board (February 2021) Places for Everyone: A Proposed Joint Development Plan Document of Nine GM Districts
Any other urgent business