Venue: Salford Suite, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton
Contact: Karen Berry, Democratic Services Manager
Apologies for absence
Declarations of interest
To approve the minutes of the meeting held on the 10 December 2019
Lead Member for Planning and Sustainable Regeneration.
Salford City Council - Record of Decision (CABINET)
1. Approve the Publication Salford Local Plan: Development Management Policies and Designations and the supporting background documents;
2. Agree that these documents be subject to a period for representations between 27 January 2020 and 20 March 2020; and
3. Delegate to the Strategic Director Place authority to approve the statement required pursuant to Section 20(3) of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 and Regulation 22 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012.
The Reasons are: To continue making progress in updating the city’s development management policies and designations, and provide an opportunity for the community and other stakeholders to make representations on the Publication Salford Local Plan: Development Management Policies and Designationsdocument before it is submitted to the Secretary of State for examination.
Options considered and rejected were: The city council initially started preparing a single Local Plan, however due to delays in the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework (GMSF) process, Salford’s Local Plan will now be produced in two parts. It is considered preferable to progress the plan in two parts rather than further delay the adoption of updated development management policies and designations. The Publication Salford Local Plan: Development Management Policies and Designationsidentifies the approach that the city council intends to take, having had regard to the comments received during the previous stages of consultation, additional evidence that has been assembled, changes to national planning policy and work on the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework. Reasonable alternatives are considered through the sustainability appraisal.
Assessment of Risk: In order for the city council to be able to adopt the Salford Local Plan: Development Management Policies and Designations, the document must be found sound when an independent examination of the document is carried out. To be sound a Local Plan must be positively prepared, justified, effective and consistent with national policy, and the city council must be able to demonstrate the soundness of the document to a Planning Inspector on this basis. It is recognised that various policies, may be subject to significant challenge from those seeking different policy approaches, but the plan is considered to be sound.
The source of funding is: The non-staff costs associated with the consultation are limited in scale (associated with the printing of the documents) and will be met from existing revenue budgets. Subsequent actions following publication will incur other financial implications in future financial years.
Procurement Advice obtained: N/A
The following documents have been used to assist the decision process:
· Publication Salford Local Plan: Development Management Policies and Designations
· Policies Map
· Consultation Statement
· Statement of the Representations Procedure
· Statement of Common Ground
· Duty to Cooperate Compliance Statement ... view the full decision text for item 4.
Any other urgent business