Salford City Council - Record of Decision
Approve the Draft Planning Obligations SPD (SPD) for the purposes of public consultation from Friday 25 January 2019 to Friday 22 March 2019.
· To reflect changing national policy and legislation
· To respond to the latest information on development viability in Salford
· To provide additional guidance on the implementation of local policies on planning obligations in light of experience in applying the existing SPD
Assessment of Risk is medium. It is recognised that various policies and proposals in the Revised Planning Obligations SPD may be subject to challenge through both the formal consultation period, and potentially also to its subsequent adoption.
Legal Advice obtained from: Robert Irvine (Solicitor). Before adopting a Supplementary Planning Document, a Local Planning Authority is required to undertake a public consultation for a period of at least four weeks. As part of the consultation, the Draft SPD must be made available along with a statement setting out who has been consulted during the preparation of the document, the main issues raised by them and how those have been addressed in the Draft SPD. This report seeks approval to carry out a consultation in accordance with the statutory provisions.
The Council is also required, during the preparation of a plan such as an SPD to consider whether an Environmental Assessment is required, and should consider whether a sustainability appraisal is required. The determination statement addresses these issues.
Financial Advice: The city council currently secures planning obligations from developers as a result of new developments in line with the adopted Planning Obligations SPD (June 2015). In 2017/18 the city council received £3,218,304 of planning obligations, with expenditure in the period of £2,304,666. Once adopted planning obligations will be secured having regard to the policies in the revised SPD.
Procurement Advice: Not applicable.
The following documents have been used to assist the decision process:
· Draft Planning Obligations SPD
· Salford Revised Draft Local Plan assessment of residential viability (January 2019)
· Determination statement on the need for sustainability appraisal and strategic environmental assessment
This decision is not subject to consideration by another Lead Member.
FOR DEMOCRATIC SERVICES USE ONLY