Lead Member for Planning and Sustainable Development
Salford City Council - Record of Decision (CABINET)
- Note the progress of the Greater Manchester Clean Air Plan
- Note the progress in the development of the Clean Commercial Vehicle and Hardship funds
- Note the initial funding award of £41m for clean vehicle funds to award grants or loans to eligible businesses
- Note the Government has accepted the need for vehicle replacement funds for Hackney carriages and Light Goods Vehicles, but has requested further development of shared evidence on the needs within that complex sector before responding; also Government does not support the Sustainable Journeys measure
- Note that TfGM is seeking confirmation that the funding award for Bus Retrofit is a continuation of Clean Bus Technology Funds to be distributed as soon as possible as per previous arrangements
- Note the Government will not support electric vehicle charging infrastructure through Clean Air monies but have committed to work with GM on securing funding from the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV)
- Agree the position that the GM Local Authorities will move to a statutory public consultation on the GM Clean Air Plan as soon as reasonably practicable;
- Further agree the position that the GM Local Authorities’ decision to commence a public consultation should be taken once there is a clear timeframe for exiting lockdown and moving to the next phase of the COVID-19 response
- Note the implementation of a GM CAZ is delayed to 2022 with a revised implementation date to be confirmed in the consultation commencement report
- Note the assessment of the possible impacts of COVID-19 to inform a technical briefing note for decision makers; and
- Note that the GM local Authorities intend to consult on GM’s proposed Minimum Licensing Standards (MLS) alongside the Clean Air Plan consultation, and agree the position for consultation on when taxi/PHV fleets should be Zero Emission Capable.
The Reasons: progress continues to be made towards developing a Charging Clean Air Zone in Greater Manchester and the next major milestone is the undertaking of a statutory consultation (as soon as reasonably practicable) - these are key Government requirements.
Assessment of Risk: Low
Procurement Advice obtained: n/a.
The following documents have been used to assist the decision process.
the documents disclose exempt or confidential information, they
should not be listed, but the following wording shall be inserted :
"(The relevant documents contain exempt or confidential information
and are not available for public inspection)":-
* This document records a key decision, but the matter was not included in the Council's Forward Plan and it has been dealt with under the emergency procedure.
* This decision is urgent and is not subject to call-in, in accordance with the Decision Making Procedure Rules
FOR DEMOCRATIC SERVICES USE ONLY