Salford City Council - Record of Decision
I Councillor Tracy Kelly, Deputy City Mayor, in exercise of the powers contained within the City Council constitution do hereby:
1. Note and endorse the Site Business Plan and Development Agreement for Salford Rise.
2. Give delegated authority to the Strategic Director, Place, and the Assistant Director, Regeneration, to approve the Site Business Plan for Salford Rise, and agree the relevant conditions associated with the approval with the English Cities Fund and the University of Salford to enable the project to be brought forward for delivery.
3. Give delegated authority for the Strategic Director, Place, City Solicitor, Chief Finance Officer and the Assistant Director, Regeneration, to enter into a Development Agreement with ECF and negotiate all financial, commercial and contractual documents and arrangements with ECF associated with the delivery of the Salford Rise project.
4. Authorise the City Solicitor to enter into and complete all necessary agreements or documents to give effect to the above recommendations.
The Reasons are this will allow for Salford City Council to enter into a development agreement with ECF (English Cities Fund) as Salford Rise related to the delivery of a key piece of infrastructure on Council owned land, rather than development on a site which would be drawn down by ECF. In this instance, ECF would be appointed as Development Manager for Salford Rise, with the development agreement setting out the terms of this arrangement.
The source of funding: The council have successfully secured a levelling up grant £13.170m, which must be spent by March 2025. The fund is being administered via a Memorandum and Understanding (MOU) which was signed on the 8th February. Approval to enter into a grant funding agreement with ECF for the provision of onward funding to a maximum sum of £13,710,933 was secured at Property and Regeneration Briefing on 28th March 2022.
Legal Advice obtained: Lauren Armstrong, Shared Legal Service
Financial Advice obtained: Natalie Birchall, Finance Manager
Procurement Advice obtained: Deborah Derbyshire, Category Manager Level 2, Procurement.
HR Advice: n/a
Climate Change advice: Dan Welsh, Principal Programme manager, Development Team
The following documents have been used to assist the decision process.
· Report of the Strategic Director, Place, to Property and Regeneration Briefing (Approval of the Crescent Development Framework 2021), 25th January 2021.
· Report of the Strategic Director, Place, to Property and Regeneration Briefing (Approval of the Crescent Strategic Master Programme and Delivery Plan), 26th April 2021.
· Report of the Strategic Director, Place, to Property and Regeneration Briefing (Salford Rise - Approval to enter into a Grant Funding Agreement with English Cities Fund), 28th March 2022
· Report to Property/Regeneration Briefing 23rd January 2023
Kurt Partington, Head of Development
Daniel Welsh, Principal Programme manager, Development Team
* This decision is not subject to consideration by another Executive Lead Member /Director
* The appropriate scrutiny committee to call-in the decision is the Growth and Prosperity Scrutiny Panel.
* This decision was published on 23 January 2023
* This decision will come in force at 4.00 p.m. on Monday 30 January 2023 unless it is called-in in accordance with the Decision Making Process Rules